The Pleasures of the Palace and Palate – Playlist and Further Reading
We are unable to make the recording of Richard Langham Smith’s February 2022 Zoom talk available because of copyright restrictions on musical examples. However, Richard has kindly provided the following list of resources.
Websites for sources:
- gallica.bnf.fr (digital collection of the Bibliothèque nationale de France
- imslp.org (free digitised scores and some recordings
- James R. Anthony: ‘French Baroque Music from Beaujoyeulx to Rameau’ originally 1973 but new editions up to 1997.
- Robert M. Isherwood: ‘Music in the service of the King’, 1973.
The Unmeasured Prelude:
- Colin Tilney: ‘The Art of the Unmeasured Prelude for Harpsichord’ 3 vols. Schott, 1991.
- Davitt Moroney: Preface to Louis Couperin, Pièces de Clavecin. Oiseau Lyre editions, 1985.
- François Couperin: ‘L’Apothéose de Lully’, from Kuijken recording of complete Chamber Music.
- ‘Leçons de ténèbres’ Emma Kirkby et al.
- Jean-Phillipe Rameau: ‘Pygmalion’ Les Arts florissants/Christie.
- ‘Triste apprêts’ from Castor et Pollux. Recital of Rameau by Sabine Devielhe/Raphaël Pichon.